Wednesday, January 16, 2008

It All Begins Saturday!



After much talk, discussion, weighing of options and debate, it is official. We will be hosting a Korean exchange student for six months. She arrives Saturday morning. I can only imagine what she is thinking. I know the things running through my head...things like, "will she like us? will she be bond with us right away? have we lost our minds?"

We will soon find out Saturday morning. Her name is So Jung Shin and she is 15 years old. I cannot fathom living in a foreign country at that age, with complete strangers. And if you think about it, we have a huge responsibility. Not only are responsible for her, we are also responsible for her leaving 6 months down the road with a good impression of Americans and our crazy habits. You know what I mean. Why we are able to consume brick like burritos that could feed small Central American village in one sitting. Why we become impatient at the drive in because it took three minutes to get our food instead of two. Why we have a Starbucks, dry cleaners, Chinese take out and a dance studio on every corner. Or on the other hand, why Americans are generally good people. Why we get a little teary eyed when the National Anthem is played. Why we are passionate about our sports, music, traditions and political views. And why so many people risk everything they have to move and make a new start in this great country.


I guess time will tell. They say that 90% of what you worry about never happens. I am convinced that means I am not worrying about the right stuff. Until then, enjoy one of the pictures she sent us.


1 comment:

Awin said...

I would have liked to been a fly on the wall of those "debates"....